Out of State Tag Enforcement

If You Have Out-of-State Tags on Your Car, You May Be in Violation of the Law!

If you are a resident of the State of Maryland, you are required to have all of the vehicles you own
registered in this state.  In other words, your vehicles must display Maryland tags, and for good reason.
A portion of your vehicle's title and yearly registration fees are used to fund highway repair projects
and build new roads.  People who live in Maryland that have cars registered in other states are not
paying their "fair share" of the revenue needed to maintain roads and are in fact, contributing to the
highway repairs of the state in which the tags were issued.

Roadway repairs are expensive.  If the state can't collect enough money for these repairs through
it's portion of the yearly vehicle registration fees, the only option left is for the state to raise taxes.
No one wants higher taxes, so it's important to make sure that all vehicles which are required to
be registered in this state, are registered.

The Berwyn Heights Police Department aggressively enforces the Out-of-State Registration Laws.  If your vehicle is observed parked on the streets in the Town of Berwyn Heights for more than a few days, you will probably be issued a "REGISTRATION WARNING NOTICE."

The REGISTRATION WARNING NOTICE (pictured at right) will contain the following information:

Your vehicle has been observed displaying Out-of-State Registration Plates.  If you are visiting someone and plan to be in the State of Maryland for less than 60 days, see the reverse side of this notice.  If however you have moved into this state, you are required by law to register your vehicle in Maryland within 60 days.  If you are here on temporary business, or are a student enrolled in an accredited college or university, you may be exempt from the registration requirements, as listed below:


    1. Vehicles owned or primarily in the possession of persons residing in this State.  

    2. Vehicles, which are kept in the State for more than 30 days in any registration year.

    3. Commercial vehicles (such as taxi cabs) which are registered in another State, but which are owned, operated and kept by persons residing in this State. (Requires tags from BOTH states to be displayed on the vehicle.)


     1. Vehicles owned or in the possession of persons in the State for less than 30 days in any registration year.

     2. Vehicles owned by new residents, during the first 60 days of their residency.

     3. Vehicles owned or in the possession of non-resident students who are enrolled in an accredited school, college, or university of this State, or of a bordering state, or  serving a medical internship in this State, provided that the student's home state extends the same privilege to residents of this State.

     4. Vehicles, which display a valid Nonresident Permit, as issued by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration.  (Permits can be issued to nonresidents who occupy a dwelling in this State for more than 30 days but less than 1 year.  Contact the MVA at 1-800-950-1MVA or visit the MVA website at for details.)

     5. Vehicles owned or in the possession of members of the armed forces of the United States, who are serving active duty in this State or an adjoining state.

If you have received one of these notices, you must reply back immediately to prevent further action and possible citation.

To fill out your reply card online, Click Here

Non-exempt vehicles which do not display Maryland registration plates will be issued a citation. The fine for this offense is $275.00

If your Registration Notice has become wet or damaged and you prefer to mail it back the 
"traditional way," Click Here to print a paper copy and mail it to:

Registration Enforcement Unit
5700 Berwyn Road - Berwyn Heights, Maryland 20740

To Read the Registration Laws directly from the Maryland Vehicle Law Book, Click Here.